Communication - Although all of us have been communicating with others since our infancy, the process of transmitting information from an individual (or group) to another is a very complex process. So here is a blog for everyone...just ramble on!

Monday, May 15, 2006

Child Safety: Is this the only way?

I grew up, like everyone else, on a healthy diet of comics - Winnie the Pooh, Dennis the Menace, Noddy, Casper the Friendly Ghost, Asterix and Charlie Brown. No one at that time and age, ever bother bothered about issues like racisim, child abuse and sexual harassment. We read them and enjoyed them. After I grew up, the same comics were read only when I was ill and in bed and Charlie Brown to a little girl I knew. There were ceratin people who decided to take a dark look at these funnies and came up with stuff that said that the characters in these comics were politically incorrect and rascists.

Where has the innocence of childhood vanished?

A couple of weeks ago, I was with a friend at a local mall, and he tried to speak to this cute little girl who came to him on all fours. For him, it was like talking to his own neice, almost the same age. For me, it was fun to see my buddy bend at his substantial middle to chat up with a two pony-tailed, chubby-cheeked, rhapsodic small child who could barely manage to be still. For others, it was something very ordinary. All Indians have an inborn love for small children and will go out of their way to be friendly and make an affectionate contact with them.

But it's an extremely different story in other parts of the world. Stay away from strangers - is the rule. Try to kiss an American baby or pat a British baby - none of whom you've ever met before - and the next you'll find yourself behind the bars with a lawsuit for sexual harassment. Children at a very young age are taught to beware strangers, ofcourse with some justfication. They are hardly allowed to play in gardens/playgrounds or any other public place without adult supervision.

Is this a good thing? Isn't this a loss of human innocence? Or is this the best possible way left, to keep your child safe?

2 comments :

  1. Child Abuse, Sexual Harassment and Racism has been in India from long time. It's just that the media didn't ever care to bring it out. Visit the slum areas of Mumbai, go to small villages in any part of country.

    Watch the Movie "WATER". It's a true story about Bengal. One will know since when child abuse was performed in country like INDIA.

    It's nothing to do with west or east. It's just that the west has taken more precautions. In our case to becoz of our parents we have never come across situation like this becoz our parent have been protecting us from all wierd element. Whenever someone greets us when we were infant our parents felt comfortable with the person. They would never allow us to go near a person where they would feel harmful.

    In West also you can play with the child but yes you are not allowed to kiss. You can put your palm on his head, shake his hand, play a game.

    Yes this would be true in India too. I don't think my mom would allow anyone to kiss me when I was small. Yes if she knew the person then ofcourse it was okiee. It is same over here when I go to frds place I can play with his son, play with his chubby cheeks. It's just different how close you are related to person.

    East or West both have they good and bad parts. It's upto you whether you pick up the good part and see at it or the vice versa.

    -AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Niki...

    I guess alot of ppl have lost their common Sense these days..so every move (it may very well be innocent) made by someone is being put under the microscope and brought down to some weird judgement. While I agree that there r lots of child abusers ard these days, I guess there a also alot of morons ard who have lost their common sense!

    My parents knew how to guide me and how protect me from real criminals. But they didnt make me lose my common sense :)

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Time is passing you by

Blog Archive