Communication - Although all of us have been communicating with others since our infancy, the process of transmitting information from an individual (or group) to another is a very complex process. So here is a blog for everyone...just ramble on!

Thursday, August 3, 2006

This is what I call Lack of work syndrome!

It gets lonely staying at home. Especially for a person whose always enjoyed the social aspect of working with other people. You'd neva find me complaining about a co-worker who passed by my desk to chat - those breaks were always welcomed. On numerous occassions I roamed the office looking for an open ear. I love to goof off. I love to procrastinate. I love to talk (who doesn't?!). I had hundreds of opportunities during the day, in the office.

Now, I am only stuck to myself. I can goof off - I can read blogs the entire day, surf the web until my eyes burn, or blast my fav. music and dance around, singing on top of my lungs simultaneously.

Lack of connection is the most difficult part of not working. In my various office settings, I had access to helpful people who could answer my questions and offer me instant advice. I bonded with them -- some of my closest friends are people I've worked with.

And now, I have no one to consult when I'm at a roadblock. This post is dedicated all those things I miss about work and the things I don't!!

Things I miss (like hell!!) about my workplace:

1. It's people: It's true that there were times when eight hours of the day went by without me saying so much as a word to someone else. But I have seen and heard people walk by my desk dozen times a day. I shared time, air and space with them. It was nice. Now, a major part of my day is spent on seeing TV or in front of ma PC. Email is one of the ways of reaching people and being reached. There will come a time when I'd just go down for a walk for the crave of human contact.

2. The Girls: You get close to a group of girls when you fall on the same menstrual cycle. There is something special when you have to just look at each other to laugh.

3. Payday's.

4. The Beach: The beach is just five minutes away from my office. I loved the walk to the beach during the rains. I am glad I don't stay anywhere near it, or I wud have lived in it!!

5. All the Food Places: The area I worked boasts of designer shops, glitzy people, a few three star hotels and a famous Seven Star hotel. There are amazing little gems of restaurants and coffee shops.

Things that I don't miss:

1. Bad Office Coffee: When I had to choose between bad office coffee and none at all, I chose the coffee.

2. Drama. Don't think have to elaborate anything on this. If any of ma co-workers are reading this, you know what I am talking abt!!

3. Micro-Management: The feeling that someone is always looking over your shoulder monitoring your every move while you try to work was annoying.

So that's it. You guys have a nice day.

1 comment :

  1. Niki ur on holz or left work for good?

    I'd miss my office like hell if I had to leave work. It's work that keeps me sane.

    U work close to the beach? wow!

    Keshi.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Time is passing you by